Nearly 3,500 people attended the 93rd Wisconsin FFA Convention, held June 13-16 at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, including 2,000 FFA members, 250 agricultural education instructors and 1,250 guests.
During the convention, a number of competitions were held, including the speaking contests.
Kate Davis of the Oregon FFA won the prepared public speaking contest. Her speech was titled “GMOs: Help or Harm?”
Other speaking contest winners are:
- Ethan Jackowski, Big Foot FFA, extemporaneous speaking
- Eric Allen, Denmark FFA, creed speaking
- Symone Ciran, Richland Center FFA, discussion meet
- Amy Jentges, Random Lake FFA, employment skills
All speaking contest winners will compete at the National FFA Convention, Oct. 26-29 in Indianapolis.
Menomonie FFA won the parliamentary procedure contest, while Marshfield Middle School FFA won the conduct of meetings contest. New London FFA won the junior high school quiz bowl competition.
Denmark FFA earned the National Chapter Award. Weyauwega-Fremont FFA chapter won the Food for America Award. Balwin FFA took first place in the scrapbook contest, while Badger FFA placed first in the digital scrapbook competition.
The Stars Over Wisconsin winners are:
- Brayden Peter, Howards Grove FFA, Star Farmer
- Cameron Pokorny, Waupun FFA, Star in Agribusiness
- Luke Sprecher, Sauk Prairie FFA, Star in Agricultural Placement
- Wyatt Gotham, New Auburn FFA, Star in Agriscience
All four winners will represent Wisconsin at the National FFA Convention.
This year’s FFA Hall of Fame inductees include: the late Jeff Hicken, Mark Zimmerman, Carlton Austin, Allan Herrman, and Ken Harter and the late Victoria Harter.
VIP citations were presented to Janet Schneider and Mark Zidon. Terry Bernick, Roger King, John Deere FFA Alumni and Supporters, and CHS Foundation earned Distinguished Service awards.